Monday 20 June 2011

CPD23 - Thing 1

I've decided to join the CPD23s free 23 things CPD this summer. They suggest that for the first post we do some reflective writing about why we're taking part in the course.

I think I'm likely to find it increasingly difficult to keep up-to-date if I don't find employment soon, so this is a really fantastic opportunity for me. I'm extremely grateful to have the chance to explore some of the new technologies in a structured way, rather than just noodling around by myself.

I'm considering whether I want to add links to my blog to my rather basic Facebook page, or my Linkedin account. I see this comes up later on and I'm really looking forward to that. I think there are some real questions about privacy and the division between professional/public face and personal/private face. The separation seems to be breaking down which is all part of our 24/7 never off-line society and I'm uncomfortable with some aspects of this.

At the moment I'd just be grateful to continue to have a career. My experience is quite broad, I've worked in HE and the NHS and I'd like a chance to put some of that experience back to work. I'd also like to get involved in some areas where I've managed to miss out,  my web design skills are rusty and rudimentary for example.

I think my blogging is currently a bit boring, so I'd like to improve it by adding some photos - possibly some garden ones, in keeping with the title!

4 comments:

  1. Like your idea of charting your progress through the minefield of the job market using a blog. Good luck with your search. I am following the CPD23 as well and like you think it could be a useful way of keeping up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! So sorry to read you got made redundant, you seem to have a lot of great experience and hopefully someone will soon recognise that! I am also looking for a job, but am a new professional. However, I identified with what you said about finding it difficult to keep up to date with things whilst out of employment. Good luck with your 23things, I hope you get everything you want out of it :) Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello -- I'm also making my way through the 23Things this summer and found a link to your blog there. Good luck with the job hunt. It certainly can't hurt to have others dropping in from the project.

    PS: love the blog background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to learning more about what you and others think about, like you said, "privacy and the division between professional/public face and personal/private face". Like you, I have some issues with that whole field and keep going through phases where I just don't know what to do. Glad this is coming up in week 2 already!

    ReplyDelete