Monday 27 June 2011

Branded as well as weeded?

Today's exercise is to consider our personal online presence.

As suggested I searched for myself on Google and most of the early hits which came up did relate to me - my name is quite unusual - possibly this was also distorted by my already being logged in.

My Linkedin account came up, this blog and various things I was involved in when working for HWPH. Also the fact I'm registered on ALISON.

I don't have a Twitter account and my knitting and Archers messageboard activity wasn't picked up!

There was nothing there that I wouldn't want a future employer to see - although I may be watching what I say here about job hunting a bit more carefully since I'm using this blog to record that as well as my 23 things.

I feel my online presence is a bit "thin" - I don't actually do much with my Linkedin account and I've always tended to be a reader rather than a commenter on blogs. I've also not used a photograph of myself here or on Linkedin or Facebook. Not sure why this is - perhaps because as a not-so-young woman I don't want to be judged by appearance? I'm reconsidering this but would obviously need a stunningly good photo to use! One of the good/bad things about the internet is its anonymity. The ability to present yourself as who you want to be without meeting preconceptions based on appearance - but also the ability to deceive.
I think my blog title "The Weeded Librarian" which was chosen defiantly, and because I like puns, is not particularly memorable and has some unfortunate associations with weedy. Although I do like my dandelion photo, which is appropriate, so that could  become a kind of trademark like Jo's penguin.

I'm not particularly design conscious so I probably need to have a hard look my blog. I do like the books background but is that really what I want to say about myself and libraries?

No comments:

Post a Comment