Monday 28 November 2011

Summer learning journey, winter reflective practice


As someone with long experience in libraries I found it quite hard to identify areas where I need more experience. I have never actually managed a library or information unit – I seem to perpetually be a deputy or assistant, but I feel I have the technical skills in the unlikely event they are needed.

I think my development needs are clustered around social skills, self-marketing and assertiveness. This probably accounts for my lack of management experience, as well as the political naivety which lead to my redundancy. How to achieve this is the big question for me. I’ve identified that I would like to do more work for the profession and this might offer me a chance to develop in these areas.

I think it is useful to have a PDP but real life is much more random than you can plan for.  The process of going through CPD23 has been very useful in filling some knowledge gaps and in getting me to reflect on my route into librarianship. I am incredibly grateful to the team who set up and ran cpd23 – I think it really helped keep me going when I thought I might never get a job in libraries again.

Will I keep on blogging? I’m not sure, because of the strange way it mixes personal and professional which I’ve written about before. I hope so.

My 6 word story?  Summer learning journey, winter reflective practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment