Sunday 14 August 2011

Getting organised - not particularly.

I'm covering Things 8 & 9 in this post - both personal organisation tools and both left me a bit so what?

Google calendar

Yes, it's a calendar. I'm used to using an Outlook calendar at work and I can't see a way of sharing or uploading an Outlook calendar to Google which would be a really useful facility. I combine the Outlook calendar with a paper diary and provided I remember to "synch" them both it all works ok.

I see some libraries are using Google Calendar to share opening hours with users, which seems handy, but I'm not sure it's any better or easier than keeping your web page updated. Having said that, the widget on the cpd23 blog which lists all the past and forthcoming topics, plus meetups and links to the full calendar, looks very smart, and is useful. Once I'm back in work I can really imagine using this for listing training courses for example. It does have the huge advantage that nothing needs to be installed on the pc.

Perhaps I'm just not exciting enough in my private life to need a calendar The more I think about this though, the more I think maybe there would be uses if only... I could workout how to get my pink phone to connect to the web... I could be bothered to type in appointments on the tiny onscreen keyboard...I had a really exciting social life.

I signed up for this but I just cannot see what I'd be likely to use it for. I see some bloggers getting very excitied about the possibilitites but...
I'm clearly missing something, but perhaps I just don't have the problems which Evernote was set up to solve. In addition, I'm still not clear whether you need to download something - this is of course an impossibility for NHS people.

In the cpd23 blog comments some asks about using Mendeley - I can certainly see a use for reference management software and this is coming up later on.

Catching up
Managed to blog 3 times this week - still not caught up, but it's interesting to see that there's a mixture of those behind and those keeping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment