Friday 19 August 2011

Community or Clique?

In this post I am going to attempt to answer the questions posted by Claire Sewell on the 23 Things For Professional Development Blog Thing 12

Are there any other advantages to social networking in the context of professional development than those already outlined above?
I think the article covers the main advantages. Some things which occur to me as kind of subsidiary advantages are that social networks allow even shy people to network and that even solo workers can make contacts.

Can you think of any disadvantages?
Social networks are an incredible time sink. If I were working I’m not sure I would have been able to participate as fully.

They also emphasise a kind of digital divide. In many workplaces (I’m thinking local authority and NHS here) lots of these tools are just blocked. Whatever the very compelling arguments for them not being blocked the fact remains that for the worker bee librarian on the ground they are not accessible. You can access them in your own time but this is not quite the same as being able to reach out for professional contact at the point of need. I have the impression that less blocking takes place in HE and commercial libraries which may or may not be better resourced. I think it's not a funding issue so much as an openness and access one.




By the way, you can get Worker Bee Librarian T-shirts
Fantastic.

Has CPD23 helped you to make contact with others that you would not have had contact with normally?
Yes, to an extent. I’m still a bit cautious about cyberly approaching people I don't know, but I've been doing more commenting on people's blogs than I would have done before.


Did you already use social media for your career development before starting CPD23? Will you keep using it after the programme has finished?
No, I didn’t use social networks except for my minimal profile on LinkedIn. I’m certainly going to retain and use my Twitter account (although see above about workplace blocking)

In your opinion does social networking really help to foster a sense of community?
I’m not sure about this. I think it may foster a lot of small communities which from the outside can look a bit clique-y. Once you’ve engaged, that cliquishness disappears. Of course, anyone reading this blog will know I’m not the most social person in the world. However, I have added a few more people to my Twitter list this week so that’s a start!

No comments:

Post a Comment