Tuesday 9 August 2011

Catching Up

OK, so I'm still really behind with my 23 things. I'm determined to catch up though, so I'm going to aim to blog 3 times this week. Probably today, Thursday and Friday. I've committed myself - now I have to do it!

I was already a (fairly half-hearted) user of social networks before signing up for 23Things. I had a Facebook account which was largely unused as well as a LinkedIn account, also not much used.   Partly as a result of being unemployed and having more time to think about and act on this stuff and partly as a result of signing up for CPD23 I’ve improved my LinkedIn profile and joined some more groups. I’m going to try to keep this current as it does provide a way to present a professional profile.

 I don’t think I’m ever going to be a real Facebook fan but I’m not really sure why. It certainly seems more of a social space than a business space and I suspect I’m just not that comfortable with the idea of having hundreds of friends.
Facebook is also blocked from most NHS computers which makes it difficult to use as a professional tool in that context. LinkedIn is accessible as far as I know.
I have registered for Google+, but again not sure I will make use of it. If Facebook is social, LinkedIn professional, what space does that leave for Google?

The networks I use tend to be the more specifically targeted ones. Professionally for example, as a CILIP mentor I have a profile on CILIP communities and I belong to the Librarians as Teachers network. Both of these actual sites have useful information as well as allowing networking which may be what makes them more worthwhile to me. Privately I belong to Ravelry and an Archers messageboard.

I fear I may be coming across as a cross between a Luddite and a Hermit. While not actually true this may contain a grain of truth.  I quite like being anonymous but I accept that this is not a good tactic if I want to become more professionally visible which is going to be increasingly important in the job market.




No comments:

Post a Comment