Thursday 14 July 2011

Reflections, reflections, reflections

This week's thing is reflective practice. The cpd23 blog has some very useful references on reflective practice and we also used a reflective practice model in my CTLLS course.  One of the things about writing reflectively is that it requires a fair amount of self-disclosure. Not necessarily personal I guess, but certainly professional.

As I am just back fro Umbrella 11 (which I will be writing up for HLG Newsletter) I wonder if there is any mileage in reflecting on this.

The fact is that as usual I failed to do as much networking as I would have liked. In spite of reading the shy person's guide to networking. I think one of the reasons for this is that being unemployed gives you a much less sturdy base to start with. In answer to the question "where do you work?" it's very hard to say "I'm not working at the moment, I was most recently in a healthcare library" and see people's eyes glaze over. It's most noticeable (obviously) with the exhibitors who are there to sell, but also with people who are still employed. There's definitely a fear of catching the unemployment lurgy. Or maybe I'm over sensitive. I did manage to speak to one of the people on the cpd23 poster stand and say thanks so that's something!

No comments:

Post a Comment